RE: Spec class?

To: "'Mark J. Andy'" <marka@telerama.com>,
Subject: RE: Spec class?
From: Jeffrey Blankenship <jblanken@amdocs.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 09:46:20 -0500
<snip>
> At least 1st gen miatas are under $10k down to say $3k, which at least
> makes it realistic for a racer with a budget to buy one (along with a
> "real car" for daily driver duty).

You've seen a 1st gen Miata for $3k?
When I was looking earlier this year, that would just about buy
a rear clip.  Try $9k minimum for something that would run for a while
without major repairs.  A new '99 ACR can still be had for $11k if you're
willing to travel.  Used Miatas are only cheap when compared to new
Miatas, and at a dealer, they'll price 'em up so high, a new one looks
like the right choice.

> The neat thing about DS is that a neon makes a great & practical daily
> driver, the car is cheap to buy new or used, and the car is
> competitive.
>
> Of course, everyone except neon drivers seems to hate the idea of an
> affordable spec class, so we're apparently changing it.
<snip>
> My suggestion would be to leave DS the hell alone and let it
> continue to fill that role, but I also understand the "sports car"
> side of the club.

Thats the way I've felt since joining up four years ago.  The neon is
hard to match against current sporty cars because the next step up
from there is $6k away, which takes you from the low end of the
market almost to the middle.  So you have to be careful or there goes
a truly affordable class.
---
Jeffrey D. Blankenship                     Senior Technical Consultant
jblanken@amdocs.com                        Amdocs - ITDS - TRIS+
neon enthusiast #478                       Champaign, IL, USA