RE: used tires in Sportscar

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: used tires in Sportscar
From: Gary Spray <gspray@cjnetworks.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2000 20:05:29 -0500
At 08:24 PM 8/3/2000 -0400, Jeff Lloyd wrote:
>So comes the question how are the Goodyear's compared to the other tires on
>the market

Okay- I ordered some 195/60X14's from him two years ago. They still had
visible tread on them if the light was shining just right.<G> They were,
and are still, VERY sticky. They also were very light as compared with the
Kumhos I replaced them with this year. The 195/55X14 Kumhos weigh about
four pounds more than the Goodyears and have a SIGNIFICANTLY stiffer
sidewall. The guy at the tire store here in good ol' Topeka really had a
tough time mounting the Kumhos.<G> I only replaced the Goodyears as at
195/60X14, they were taller than the Kumhos and took more hp (which the
Miata ain't got) to turn over. Of course this may be offset by the Kumhos
higher weight. :-(

Opinion of a not-to-fast, third year autocrosser: The Goodyears stick like
glue up to a point and then let go with a BANG! The Kumhos seem to slip a
little at the limit but so far I haven't spun with them on. The Goodyears
don't seem to like cool weather but the Kumhos don't seem to mind it as much.

Gary Spray
Topeka, Kansas
White 1990 Mazda Miata
Kansas Region SCCA - Solo 2
#16 CS (or 19, or 61, or 91, or 1, or 6, or 9; only got two numbers)