Re: Labor Day Weekend

To: jbeerman@megsinet.net
Subject: Re: Labor Day Weekend
From: GSMnow@aol.com
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 09:31:34 EDT
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 15:00:42 -0400
From: "Jon Beerman"

<< I'm going to be visiting family in the Chicago area over Labor Day
weekend.  I see there's an AutoX scheduled at Route 66 Raceway on that
Sunday.  Can one of you Chicago types tell me if this place is worth
the trouble of carting all of my stuff from Ohio just to run one day?
I'm trying to get in a few extra days before heading to Topeka the
next week. >>

I'll agree with Mike's reply for the most part. The lot is huge and we get a
solid 60 secnd course depending on who designs it. The surface is a very
smooth asphault with no poles. If there has not been a dirt track race grip
is quite good, but if there was one, it will be slick for the first heat or
so. We run 4 heayts, and each entrant runs in either evens or odds, so if you
are stuck with the first heat, you should get at least 2 more tries in the
third heat after most of the dirt is brushed off.

Our turnout at Rt. 66 has been running well over 150 cars, and we did get
stuck with just 3 runs once, we usually get 4 or 5 there, and did manage 6
runs a couple times. When we only got three, we had trouble with getting 185
cars with alot of first timers entered into the computer and such. For some
reason, Rt. 66 tends to draw people we never see anywhere else, and many new
people coming to their first ever autocross. Not that this is a bad thing,
excelpt that they sometimes do hold things up with a re-run or whatever. But
as we should, we try to help out the newbies and get them up to speed.

I would recomend pre-registering and get there early if you want a good
padock space. With the slow operation from the huge turnouts, there is talk
of enforcing our 150 car limit. Not sure how that went as I missed the last
CR SCCA meeting.

Gary M.