Re: Lightweight wheels, drive only?

To: "'autox@autox.team.net'" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Lightweight wheels, drive only?
From: Alan Pozner <AlanP@identicard.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 14:05:54 -0400
BLoring wrote:

>>...Put another way: to accelerate from 0-20 mph in 4 seconds takes less
energy
in 1st gear than it does in 4th gear. Isn't this correct?...<<

William,

This is untrue. The reason for the difference in the time it takes is that
in first gear at that speed your engine can produce more power than in 4th
at that speed (since in first gear we are at higher rpm). I think you are
confusing work(or energy as you put it) and force. The 4th gear car applies
less force for a longer time then the 1st gear car but the amount of work is
the same.

Regards,
Alan