A litte more Newbie advice

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: A litte more Newbie advice
From: Scott Anderson <noleanimal@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 06:02:25 -0700 (PDT)
Being somewhat of a newbie still myself... (only run 6
regional events- just won my first trophy! LOL) I feel
like I have something to add to this discussion.
Someone said "driver improvements in Stock are
unlimited." HEED THESE WORDS. They are so true. I was
raised in a "car family", my grandfather owned a
dealership, my unlce did some SCCA Club racing here
and there, my dad built race cars for the dirt track
circuit in S. Georgia, and I have always been around
and loved racing and considered myself somewhat
educated. Then I FINALLY started autocrossing.
Instantly I was hooked, of course! I was by far the
fastest novice, but got my butt kicked by the rest of
the field. 90% of the time, it's the driver, not the
car. There is a guy here that routinely is in
competition for Stock FTD in a H-Stock Ford Focus. He
almost hops the thing around the course, he is quite
amazing. I recommend HIGHLY getting the book, "Going
Faster". You can get in on Amazon.com and plenty of
places. It's in collaboration with the Skip Barber
Racing School. I've read the first two chapters and
the most startling thing I've learned so far is how
much I have yet to learn. Improving your skills is
much cheaper than improving your car. When you become
competitive on regular street rubber, then maybe go to
competition DOT tires. But give yourself some time. If
you THINK you've reached the limit of your cars
abilities, you haven't. You'll know for SURE when you
do. Until then, improve the limit of YOUR abilities.

Scott Anderson (G-Stock Eclipse GT)
Dixie Region

http://mail.yahoo.com/