Re: Sticking your arm out when rolling over.

To: "Scott Knight" <scott@scottknight.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Sticking your arm out when rolling over.
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 23:59:07 -0500
From: Scott Knight <scott@scottknight.com>

>Heh, as a crashing veteran, the best advice I can give in any crash
>situation is to relax as much as possible, hold onto the steering wheel
>with both hands

On the three occasions when I flipped SAAB 96 cars on the ice, I did indeed
grasp the wheel near the bottom.  I trusted my 4-points to keep me in the
stock seat.  And the driver window was open in all cases.

>(firm grip,

Oh, my, yes.

>but loose arms)

I won't swear that I did that.

>and get your feet somewhere
>you can keep them from flopping around.

Did that, too.

>I have never had even a slight
>injury from a couple of heinous crashes (both at well over 100 mph)

Other than the three rolls, I did have one good metal-to-metal crash.
Driver who had been drinking beer during the race ran out of road, then
proceeded to back his Mini unto the track.  I hit him pretty hard, but could
not estimate the speed.   Bent a front upright, nursed the car back to the
pits and retired.  Seems there was a ball joint trying to share space with
my right-front tire...

>other than bruises where the belts hold me down

I was properly-clothed for racing with the driver window open, so belt
bruises were not a factor.

And another thing I don't understand:  Race workers tell me that drivers
often pop their belts when the car is on its side or top, injuring
themselves in the resultant fall.  I was always damned careful to brace
myself before yanking the lever.

>(well, OK, the airbag
>did bruise my arms and legs once,

What's an airbag?  ;-)

>but I don't keep those activated
>anymore). Relaxing is one of the hardest things to do, but it is very
>important.  The more tense you are, the more your muscles will get
>strained when the impacts come.

True.  Two of my sisters-in-law were in a car which was rear-ended.  The
driver saw it coming.  The shotgun did not.  The force was so great both
front seatbacks broke.  The driver has stiffness problems a decade later,
the shotgun was never in bad shape.

>I find that it helps to concentrate on
>each impact and to estimate the monetary value of it's damage rather
>than to think of what can happen to my person ;^).

None of those cars was worth very much.

"Never take anything on a race track you would not push off a cliff."  -
Larry Colen

1970 Lotus Europa, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1986 Chev Suburban
LOON, MAC
pethier@isd.net     http://www.visi.com/mac/
"If I can do it, it's not art"  - Red Green