Car Classification Rules

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Car Classification Rules
From: Chris Shepard <maverick@purplemtn.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2000 07:19:16 -0600
Howdy, team.net,

The concern over shift knobs, radiators, sun visors and such
begs me to tell my little story here.

About two months ago, when I realized I simply couldn't afford
to race my Vette all the time and also didn't want to beat
on it that hard (yes, I know Vettes are tough, but I'm kinda
what they call a "hard charger"), I towed an old '83 RX-7 out
of a junkyard for $400.  Missing one wheel, wouldn't start, and
had the foulest, nasiest, stinkiest carpeting in all creation.
With no concern for the rule book, I ripped out the interior
before I even had it rolling, just as a matter of survival.

Now, another $1400 later, my racing budget exhausted, the
little pizza chit runs great on two different sizes and three
different brands of tires.  The door won't always stay shut,
the left front fender is "mounted" with baling wire, and
only last Sunday did I manage to get it around all four runs
without spinning out.

But it's an FP car.  "Prepared", according to the rules, since
it's been gutted.  Would barely keep from finishing last
in the CS class and doesn't stand a chance in CSP.  I wander
around the grid all the time looking for neat rides and have
had the thrill of riding in a few _real_ "prepared" cars.
Now I wonder if I should beat the SEB about the head and start
a thread complaining about classing rules?  Wouldn't even dream
of it.  I trophied last week:  first in a field of one, 700+ points.
I only know of one other FP car in RMDIV, almost as much of a
beater as mine.  (Hi, Brian!)

I realize some (few, based on what I read in this list) of
y'all are serious competitors at the national level, and the
issues of shift knob weight or whatever are of legitimate concern
to those who may have beaucoup bucks invested, but please don't
take offense if you overhear some of us real grassroots types
chuckling gently in the background.

Three or four year$ from now my little rotary rowboat may
actually *BE* an FP race car, but even then I'll just be
out to have a blast, like _most_ everybody else in autox-ing.
"Spin or win, it's a grin".

You guys da pros, fer shure, but if it ever gets to where
its more serious than fun for me, I'll take up skydiving
to get my adrenalin.  Or Figure 8 trains, possibly the
last bastion for us "poor white trash" racers.

Note:  Insert 47 smiley faces wherever you like.  I just
didn't want to make it any harder to read.  All in jest,
people, all in fun.  8-D

cc: imrx7 list
--
Chris "Maverick" Shepard - Bailey, Colorado
SCCA Solo II Class FP '83 RX-7 (junker)