What wheel size?

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: What wheel size?
From: Dan Dalessio <dalesd@mediaone.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 1999 01:50:47 -0500
I just finished my first season with a (mostly) stock '95 Ford Probe
GT.  I ran on street tires all year and competed in ST.  I'm considering
getting a set of autocross tires (probably Kumhos) for next season,
because I think I'll save money on tires overall in the long run, and
I'm told it's even more fun than street tires.  :)  So I'll run in STR
next year, as I'm sold on preparing the car for ST.  Coil-overs, 22mm
rear sway bar, and adjustable struts are on the way.

Someone (I don't remember who it was) suggested minus-sizing the tires
to improve gearing, as well as lower the car, etc.  i.e. instead of
using 225/50-16 (stock size), so run 225/50-15, which I figure gives
about a 4% smaller circumference.  Does this make sense for competition
purposes, or is there something I'm missing?

On a related note, I'm looking for some cheap rims.  5 lug x 114.3mm
bolt circle, 7" or 7.5" wide, diameter to be determined.  Some used OEM
rims would be great, if I only knew what cars had my bolt pattern.

Dan Dalessio
'95 PGT
#99 ST(R?)
[I've been lurking on the list digest for a few weeks and I haven't seen
anything on this topic.  I tried to check the archives too but had no
luck there, so forgive me if this horse was recently beaten to death...]