Re: 1990 or 1991 Miata as a Winter/Snow Solo Car?

To: "Moore, John" <jmoore@spyglass.com>
Subject: Re: 1990 or 1991 Miata as a Winter/Snow Solo Car?
From: Andy Poling <andy@globalauctions.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 1999 11:52:04 -0500 (EST)
"Moore, John" <jmoore@spyglass.com> sez:
>       So those of you who own or have owned a 90 or 91 miata, how would
> one be in the winter? Would a hard top be necessary? I am thinking that if I
> need to get a second car for winter, maybe I should get a 1.6 miata. That
> way if the 1.6 miata turns out to be better in CS than my MR2, I'm already
> set!

I'm sure that you'll get lots of answers like "I've heard they're terrible"
and "my idiot friend wrapped one around a phone pole" and other anecdotal
nonsense from people who've never driven one in the snow.

Think about it.  Close to 50/50 weight distribution, limited slip diff,
quick steering (for catching slides), ABS (which you should want anyway).
It's a snow machine!

For several years, my '91 Miata was my only 4-wheeled transportation, and I
lived at the bottom of a hill in semi-rural Maryland.  I never missed a day
of work because I couldn't get up that hill (though my neighbors did lots of
times).  And I watched any number of cars spinning in my rear-view mirror
after trying to keep up with that "sports car that should work terribly in
snow".

The fact is, with real winter tires, a Miata will do _better_ than most cars
in the snow.  All you really need to worry about is the snow depth on the
roads, and whether you'll clear it with a mere 5" or so of clearance under
the car.  Just get some cheap steel rims (many Honda wheels will fit) and
mount snow tires on them and go out and have a ball in the snow.

-Andy

PS - I never needed a hardtop.  Just swept the snow off the softtop with a
broom.

72 Pantera - Rocky             91 Miata - Steve                 96 A4Q - Rudolf
80 928 - Phantom             87 E350XL - Andylance             84 RZ350 - Sting