Re: Seeking SP seat & wheel advice

To: Jay Mitchell <jemitchell@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: Seeking SP seat & wheel advice
From: Tim Schuh <tim@wankel.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 07:26:00 -0600
Jay Mitchell wrote:
> Tim Schuh wrote:
>
> >After having to replace my cat to get
> > my car to pass emmisions I got shoved into CSP.
>
> You're not required to run your car's original catalytic converter in
> Stock. If an aftermarket replacement unit is the same size and type as
> original (i.e., an OEM replacement, not a "high flow" type) and your car
> is beyond the EPA-required manufacturer's emissions warranty period
> (which I am pretty sure is the case with your car), then it's legal in
> Stock.
>
> Jay

Yup, this is very true.  However on 1st generation Rx-7s there are
actually three catalysts, two pre-monoliths and the main cat.  From
Mazda Competition these cats are just over $1,000.  From a dealer
they're over $1,300.  A high flow bolt in replacement cost $239 and a
can of Rust Eater.  15 years of 1600+ exhaust temps and the presence
of oxygen typically turn the bolts to big spirals of rust.  I did look
for direct replacements but of course none could be found for under
$1,000.  I figured, what the heck, might as well go with the cheaper
high flow and spend a whole lot more money on making the car quick.
This spring I'll be spending money making the driver quick. =)

--
Tim Schuh - www.wankel.net
84 GSL-SE