Re: driving while stupid (HMMWV engines)

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: driving while stupid (HMMWV engines)
From: "George Ryan" <quad4fiero@webzone.net>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 20:40:36 -0600
If it were anything but the GM diesel, the HMMWV would be absolutely awesome
with diesel power.

Think I am kidding? Look in the want ads - - "97 extended cab 3500 dually,
80,000 miles. New GM Goodwrench motor", etc. I have seldom seen a 100K mile
GM diesel - - how sad!!

Now if the Hummer had a Cummins (warranteed for 100,000 miles, average 300K+
between overhauls) or even a Powerstroke, it would be worthwhile to put a
diesel in it. Until GM starts to market that big Isuzu diesel, I would stick
with their gas engines!!

The Humm - V would be a much better vehicle with the Cummins, IMO. But what
class would a 5.9L straight 6 (235hp, 460lbft torque) put it in? Certainly
not FS with those big, bad V-8's!!

:-)

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Charles Sieber"

Phil asked:

What's the difference between that and the big turbo-diesel that's in there
now?

The glossy civilian versions (AM General nickname "Hummer") have had GM gas
engines available for some while.  The military versions (High Mobility
Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicle--HMMWV) all have GM light truck diesel V8s,
first 6.2  now 6.5 liters.  Of the 6.5s, some have 190hp turbos, most are
160hp NA. (All have 4 wheel inboard discs, Torsen diffs etc.  F/Stock I
guess).

Chuck Sieber