Re: New York State's Drop Zone

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: New York State's Drop Zone
From: Lee Witkowski <lwitkowski@ameritech.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 1999 08:14:30 -0600
In a previous message, Matt Murray asked:

>Anyone know what the status is with that site these days?
>I'd love to go back. Good place for the New England region to
>buy to have a club race track.

It's dead, Jim. :-(   [Moment of silence for loss of great site.]

The parcel (formerly known as Galeville airport) went up for
grabs a few years back, with the local governments proposing
uses for the land. Among them were a veterans cemetery, a park,
and a bird sanctuary.  It was announced that the bird sanctuary
won.  Now, I don't know about you, but tell me where the government's
wisdom was in granting a piece of real estate at least a mile
square AND NO TREES to the wrong autobahn society.  Anyway,
the last status report on the site that I heard said that the
runways weren't even discernable from the grass any more.....

 -Arthur

Arthur,

You must be from the east coast. Are you assuming that if there are no
trees, there are no birds?  We prairie folk, here in the midwest would
beg to differ. ;{)

Seriously, there is as much, or more wildlife on a prairie than there
are in forests. The adaptation, in this case, is for birds to be less
conspicuous because the line of site of their predators is less
obstructed. If you know how, and what, to look for you'll find lots of
birds in areas without trees.

Sorry about your loss of the autocross site. I guess as our urban areas
expand uncontrollably, natural areas AND autocross playgrounds will
continue to be the victims. Maybe we should team up on this issue?

Lee

'76 Datsun "GTO"  (Autobahn)
& Former Audubon Society chapter president