Re: ES neons (!NOT!)

To: autox@autox.team.net, ryan@ctc.com
Subject: Re: ES neons (!NOT!)
From: "Jan Schmidt" <jschmidt@kumc.edu>
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 21:37:56 -0500
List
Here are some others often overlooked
16 valve Scirocco 2287lbs, 123hp,120ft-lbs
86 Celica gts 2553lbs,135hp,125 ft-lbs
Spectrum turbo 2185lbs,110hp,120ft-lbs
86 colt turbo2145lbs, 102 hp, 122 ft-lbs
German Capri v6 2530 lbs, 119hp, 147 ft-lbs
TR6  2390 lbs, 106 hp, 133 ft-lbs
Saturn SC 2375 lbs, 123hp, 121 ft-lbs
Alliance GTA 2095 lbs, 95hp, 114 ft-lbs
Shelby Charger 2435 lbs, 110hp, 129 ft-lbs
cordia turbo 2458 lbs, 116 hp, 129 ft-lbs
Just food for thought
Bill Schmidt cs rx7 kc region

Jeff Blankenship writes:
> I'm not 110% positive what the best ES neon would be, and if I figure it
> out, I might be tempted to make it my secret weapon!

I think the best SCCA SoloII ES Neon isn't a Neon at all! :)

Check out the specs:

Make  Dodge  Isuzu
Model  Neon Spt Sdn Impulse/Stylus RS
Year  96  92-93
Weight (lb) 2456  2446
Wheelbase (in) 104.0  96.5
Width (in) 67.4  66.1
Engine  2.0l sohc L4 1.8l dohc L4
MaxPower 132  140
@ rpm  6000  6400
MaxTorque 129  120
@ rpm  5000  4600
wheel  14x6  15x6

Plus, the Sylus has a 16mm rear bar while the Neon
has none at all.  The Sylus spring rates and gearing
also look OK.  The Geo Storm has same general specs
with different suspension tuning (smaller rear bar, etc).

I've always wondered why I've never seen one of these
run.  No camber?  Overrated engine?  Anybody ever
actually seen one of these at an autocross?

Have fun,

John Ryan
ryan@ctc.com
DS/Neon ACR