RV help

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: RV help
From: Josh Sirota <jss@marimba.com>
Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 18:24:14 -0700
Folks,

I'm going through an early mid-life crisis :-) so this summer/fall I'm
thinking of taking a long RV trip around the country (with Nationals as
a stop, of course!)

What I'm wondering, from those of you who tow enclosed trailers with
your RVs:

Is a 30-35 foot class A, towing an enclosed trailer with a 3,000 pound
car inside, actually a comfortable towing situation?  Or is this really
too much for the gas drivetrains (Chevy 454 or Ford V10)?  I want to
make sure that I'm not going to hate the driving part of this trip ...

Obviously, I wouldn't be able to maintain my usual towing pace, but this
is supposed to be a relaxing trip.  But if I really need a diesel pusher
to be comfortable towing such a trailer for at 6-10 thousand miles, I
want to know that now and figure out what I want to do instead (open
trailer, combo travel trailer/car hauler 5th wheel, something else ...)

If anyone wants to offer any other advice about RVs, I'd love to hear
it!  But it's probably best done as a personal message to me (and I'll
summarize if there's interest), rather than bombing the whole list with
non-autocross content.

Thanks!

Josh