Re: Small Floor jack ?

To: hottvr@tfs.net
Subject: Re: Small Floor jack ?
From: David K Yeung <dkyeung@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 16:09:23 -0500
pop the metal cover plate off the top, back half of the jack.  you should
now see a fill plug on what looks exactly like a bottle jack laying
horizontal.  add hydraulic jack oil, available at most autoparts in a
small bottle (pint?) you shouldn't need much.   dunno what kind of
hydraulic oil you have available to you but I'd suspect there are quite a
variety of fluid/viscosities/miscibility concerns.  Unless you know the
hydraulic fluid you have is recommended for floor jacks, it's safer to
buy the marketed stuff, only a few bucks.    make sure you bleed the
cylinder by pumping the jack with the release valve open and the fill
plug loose.  if this doesn't work, the seals are likely shot.  you can
service it but may be better off spending $20 for a new one.

Dave Yeung
Houston Region