Re: 4 wheel steering -- bad?

To: "Jamie Sculerati" <jamies@mrj.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 4 wheel steering -- bad?
From: "Rich Johnston" <richj50@bit-net.com>
Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 20:57:14 -0400
> From: Jamie Sculerati <jamies@mrj.com>
>
> There are no particular reasons for or against the 4WS option <SNIP>

It sounds like maybe there are reasons for? (see below)

> Although the 4WS cars have been faster through high-speed
> transient maneuvers and tight turns than their 2WS counterparts in road
> tests, it was a pretty expensive option new, and the advantage just
doesn't
> seem to have been worth it to many U.S. customers.

That's perfectly understandable that the general public wouldn't care.  I'm
surprised that the ATTS system on the 5th gen. Preludes lives on because it
is even less noticeable and even more expensive.  But just because it
wasn't worth anything to the general public doesn' t necessarily mean that
its worthless to enthusiasts or autoxr's specifically, right?  On the car
I'm looking at, I wouldn't be paying extra for the 4WS.  I did pull out an
old Motor Trend where a 92 4WS Prelude pulled .89g on the stock tires and
ran faster than a Probe GT in the slalom.

> Jamie
> '92 Prelude Si (2WS)

BTW, I found the Si engine to be nearly identical to the VTEC engine below
5500 or so.  And I could feel the extra low-end torque over the VTEC
engine.  The only concern I have with the Si engine is running out of gear
in 2nd.  I read that 2nd runs out at 58mph which seems a little slow for
many courses, or maybe I'm just used to having 300+ hp :)

Rich Johnston
95 Z28 ESP
98 Prelude SH, 87 Prelude (tired)