Re: hollow spring--any such thing?

To: Craig Blome <cblome@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: hollow spring--any such thing?
From: OneTimeCRX <hchea@ramapo.edu>
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 20:53:54 -0400
Craig Blome wrote:

> What gives?  Is it too expensive to wind a hollow bar
> into a coil?  Fatigue problems?  Enquiring minds want
> to know...

Cost might have something to do with it, but I think that it's more of a
matter of durability.  With torsion bars and sway bars, the spring is
being acted upon in such a way that all of the force put into it goes in
the form of twisting the bars, not compressing or stretching it out (as
a whole).  With a coil spring, the force wouldn't be applied in such a
way that the spring is twisted only, and a small kink or weakness in one
part of the spring could cause the entire thing to fold over and break
like a soda can being crushed with a small indentation in the side.  I
think that coil springs are made solid so that such kinks in the side
don't have such a dramatic effect.  All IMO of course.

--
Cheers,
Henry C.