Re: 99 Civic Si classing

To: <richj50@bit-net.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 99 Civic Si classing
From: "Jamie Sculerati" <jamies@mrj.com>
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 08:52:11 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From: richj50@bit-net.com <richj50@bit-net.com>

>My wife and I are still in the market for a daily driver/autox car and we
>just got a chance to test drive a 99 Civic Si.  I was very impressed by
>it's grip and pep.  Our other car is a 98 Prelude SH and I can say that
>the Civic Si handles the twisties nearly as well and with almost as much
>power.  Makes me wonder which car is misclassed...the Civic Si (ES) or the
>Prelude (GS).

Not surprising -- by my observations, the top DS, ES and GS times tend to
converge on many courses.  Several years ago, the Civic Si and the newer
Preludes ('92-up) were both DS cars -- they were moved in the last Stock
reorganization.

>I'm worried that if we buy one of these cars that it is going to end up in
>DS or GS eventually.  I really don't understand why it was put in ES.  If
>you compare it to the Integra GS-R (GS), then it doesn't appear to have
>any disadvantage.  It's lighter and has better F/R weight distribution.
>It has only 10 less HP, but it also has a lower first gear to make up for
>it.  My impression from driving both is that the Civic has at least as
>much grip and more composure in the turns.  The brakes are excellent on
>both and they both have the same wheel size.

I haven't driven a new Civic, but if they're anything like the previous
generation, they're a bit short on low-end torque.  You can drag a Prelude
around a low-speed corner without shifting and find some exit
acceleration -- the same maneuver in the Civic has you hunting for first
gear to get the revs back up.  I think most of the other cars in GS -- DSMs,
MX-6s/Probes, Camarobirds -- are similar to the Prelude in this manner.
(Yes -- I deliberately left out Integras....).

>Either the GS-R should go to ES or the Civic Si should go to GS, at least
>based on my testdrives.  Maybe they completely change character on course,
>but I doubt it.  Opinions?

It's more likely they'll both end up in DS -- the Civic really isn't
powerful enough to play with the front-running GS cars, and although the
GS-R isn't overwhelmed where it is, there seems to be enough heartburn about
classing it and its Type R brother together that I think there will be a
change.  DS would seem to be a natural home for both.  Of course, that's all
strictly my opinion, so it's worth what you paid for it.

Jamie
'92 Prelude Si (and a '94 Civic EX)
Speed Demon Racing
http://www.mindspring.com/~jsculerati/sdr