Re: wasting gates

To: "richard nichols" <rnichol1@san.rr.com>
Subject: Re: wasting gates
From: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Mon, 3 May 1999 10:55:59 -0400

> However, two points (listed as one) are deserving of correction
> from a technical standpoint:

>> 1) You only make that extra power under full boost.

This much we can agree on, right?

>> That right away limits the areas for improvement to areas of the >> course
where you're full throttle, and there's still lag to deal >> with.

> Boths of these points are misperceptions in and of themselves

Well, yeas and no - it's car-dependant.

> The SVO anyway, and my home-built TurboPinto (now retired to
> museum duty) in its day, makes full boost at part throttle.  Full > boost is
always achieved on the even the shortest straights I've > autoxed on, at part or
full throttle as appropriate.

> The SVO has NO turbo lag.  None.  At all.  Its factory turbine
> housing is tiny (.48 a/r)

To get full boost at part throttle, that goes beyond tiny, to miniscule.

Either that, or your max boost pressure is very low. What does the boost curve
look like on this car?

A stock T25 Talon makes about 14-15 PSI at 3500, falling to 8-9 PSI at 7400 -
the tiny turbine can't move any more air.

> low end torque is strong, high end revs are soft.

That about sums up a small turbo's performance characteristics - and it means
that there's really very little to be gained by installing boost controllers, at
least at the high end.

What's the displacement of this car?

DG