RE: Clutchless shifts/rev matching...WAS Re: Heel & Toe & RWD!

To: "'Eric Moon'" <moon-7@blazenet.net>,
Subject: RE: Clutchless shifts/rev matching...WAS Re: Heel & Toe & RWD!
From: Tom Gentry <tgentry@execpc.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 08:12:05 -0500
>>Could someone please explain 'clutchless shifting' to me?  Is it simply a
matter of matching the rev that you would be in if you were to change gears
normally with the clutch?<<

That's correct.  If you match the engine revs to the speed it would be if you
were already in gear it should slip right in.  I drove all the way home from
Road America like that once when my clutch slave cylinder blew.  I can do it, I
just can't do it fast.

>>Is this bad for the car?  <<

If it's done correctly there is probably less wear than when most people
downshift with the clutch.  You're doing the job of the syncros, so there is
little or no wear on them.  OTOH, get it wrong and your ears will let you know
that your transmission is unhappy.

Tom Gentry
Life is too short to drive boring cars!
'96 Ford SVT Cobra, Mystic #1345/2000 (mostly stock)
'72 Triumph TR-6 OD (mostly modified)
'59 Triumph Model 10 Sedan (mostly in boxes)