Re: Miata PS parasitic losses?

To: autox@autox.team.net, Craig Blome <cblome@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Miata PS parasitic losses?
From: mikelowe@pop.c-com.net
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 00:29:46 +0000
> Subject line sez it all...anyone have numbers?  Is it
> constant or does a PS pump consume less juice when in
> bypass?  Wondering if it's worth the slower ratio...

     I don't know about HP drain but I do know this:  After an event
or two, I was adjusted to the slower manual ratio.  I don't think the
manual ratio ever caused me problems that would have been solved by
having the faster ratio.  If I was late making a turn, it was due to
poor turn judgement and not slow steering.
     It took me only a day or two to get used to the extra effort in
daily driving.  But then again, I was transitioning from the Lumina
company car with "pinky-movable" super-PS.  I've had non-PS cars
before so I knew the tricks already.  The only time I regretted
having the manual rack was when I was recovering from the Neon
accident.  The car had to sit for a few extra weeks while the
shoulder healed.

Mike Lowe    mikelowe@phoenix.net    http://www.phoenix.net/~mikelowe
Texas A&M Sports Car Club    Houston Region SCCA    Miata Club of America
'96 Miata R   BS 93