Re: Lug Nuts and such

To: "Jan Schmidt" <jschmidt@kumc.edu>
Subject: Re: Lug Nuts and such
From: "Bruce Sargent" <bruces@caspers.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 21:24:24 -0600
Everyone;
Lug Nut/Bolt Torque listed by manufacturer is the Maximum not the Minimum!!
I have seen more broken by over torquing than by cross threading in my forty
years of wrenching.     I do not trust torque shafts sold by many tool
dealers.
They work fairly decent for a while, in a good operators hands.    Then the
operator starts "handing" the shaft and the metal starts getting
tired.........=> improper
torque results, can be either too much or too little, neither is good.
Even seen tire busters "jumping" on the torque wrench.    Think that gets
the right torque?    Nope.
Over torquing even can warp the brake rotors/drums and cause pulsation of
the brakes.