Re: FW: The tire thing^n and personal responsibility

To: "'team.net'" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: FW: The tire thing^n and personal responsibility
From: Mark Sirota <msirota@isc.upenn.edu>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 1999 22:57:48 -0400
Josh Sirota wrote:
> I just dug out my '89 rulebook.  Can't find '88 (if I ever had one --
> that was my first year).
>
> Section 11.3.B is marked with a change bar, so this may be the first
> time it appeared:

In the 1988 rulebook, all of 11.3 is marked by a change bar.  This is
the first rulebook I have, so I don't know what it was before.  I won't
type the whole thing in unless you all beg me to, but suffice it to say
that the following wording was new for 1989, and the rest was the
same (unfortunately, I had 1988 and 1990, but can't find 1989, so I have
to go by Josh's quoted text):

>       A tire model will normally be determined by the designation in
>       the Tire Guide.  However, any of the following changes or
>       similar changes (as determined by the Solo Events Board) will
>       also be considered to represent a new tire model for eligibility
>       purposes, even if the designation does not change: Change of
>       tread pattern at either full or partial tread depth;
>       characterization by the manufacturer or distributor of a tire as
>       "new" after April 30.

The 1988 book also includes 11.3.C:

        The model of tire must be listed in a 1981 or later edition
        of the Tire Guide, or otherwise be approved by the Solo
        Events Board.  The tire model must have Department of
        Transportation approval.

In 1990, this had changed to (but no change bar is included):

        The model of tire must be listed in a current or previous
        two years of the Tire Guide and Tread Design Guide, or
        otherwise be approved by the Solo Events Board.  The tire
        model must have Department of Transportation approval.

I assume this wording was new for 1989.  So it looks like if the Salina-
only version of the R1 came out in 1989, it was pushing the limits of a
brand new rule.  I therefore suspect it was 1988, but I seem to remember
it pretty well, and 1988 was my first season (though I think the autox
mailing list had already been formed, so maybe that's why I remember
it so clearly).

Mark