Retreads in Solo - again.

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Retreads in Solo - again.
From: PZahornask@aol.com
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 18:52:03 EDT
In a message dated 4/23/99 5:09:51 PM US Eastern Standard Time,

>         Just taking a wild stab at this one... I believe that the reason why
> retreads were banned in the SIIR was primarily do to safety reasons.
> Hence, the insurance coverage issues.
>
> -Josh2

First, let me point out that the only mandatory rule (for regional events)
that applies to tires is 13.3.C.1 - Tire must be in good condition, with no
cord or belts showing, or cracks in the tread or sidewall.

No where does it say that recaps cannot be used.  That is a Stock and SP rule
that can be waived regionally. (I know nothing of the Prepared and Mod rules
on this)

RacerRay52@aol.com writes:

>  I guess it is like everything else you buy. You pays your money and
>  takes your chances. If retreads were allowed in Solo2 the word would get
>  around as to what's hot or not.

This is probably the reason that recaps are banned.  The whole idea of the
tire rule is that everyone competes on tires that are available to the
general public.  It could be theoretically possible for someone to pay a
retreader to put a super sticky compound on that was not available to the
general public.  Expensive yes, but possible.

Paul Zahornasky