Tire History Lesson - Again

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Tire History Lesson - Again
From: Dick Rasmussen <rasmussend@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 20:18:43 -0400
FYI

The absolutely fastest tire for stock class Datsun Z, most Porsches,
Morgan's, etc. in 1977 (yes 1977) was the Michelin XWX. This was a 70
series (remember them) that came stock on Porsches and on Ferraris and
Mercedes. A 195/70 X 14 cost about $150 each at a discount tire chain which
warranteed them for 5000 miles (for the first set). Did not work worth a
darn for the first 2/3rds of the tread.

Let me tell you, $150 per tire was one heck of a lot of money in 1977!!!!

You better believe that they had their own set of rims to preserve them for
competition once they got to primo tread depth. I lugged them up 3 flights
of stairs to my apartment too many times . . . but they allowed those of us
who ran them to WIN so we paid the price.

The best tire thing that ever happened to stock and street prepared
autocrossing was tire manufacturers providing competition tires at
discounted prices!!!!

In my "humble (but been there, done that) opinion.

Dick Rasmussen
CM 85
85 Van Diemen RF-85 Formula Ford