gearing

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: gearing
From: "Jeffrey Lloyd" <jslz3@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 19:54:29 PDT
ok here is a question for the math freaks on the list

Q1
I'm currently running 24.8" Od R-1's on my car If i switch to a tire
with a 25.7" Od  how much will my gearing change? Will I even notice
it? I currently hit my 6500 RPM rev limiter in 2nd gear @ 62 mph
how much will this change? I have misplaced my Gear specs but it is
for a stock '96 Z3 1.9. I think this will help on the faster courses
since I hit my fun limiter Regularly, and this may eliminate a extra
shift..  BTW I am getting an extra 1.7" wide of rubber by switching
so It might counteract the change because I'll be able to carry more
speed through the turns....

Thanks...

Theoretical Time!!!
Q2
IF you "weakened" the inside sidewall of A tire could this produce a
camber compensating effect like the asymetric R-1's???

Thanks,
Jeff Lloyd