Texas NT & the SO class

To: "Team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Texas NT & the SO class
From: "Su Brude" <sbrude@email.msn.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 19:43:26 -0600
I can lurk no longer.  As most of you know that where at the NT I was very
vocally challenged from a nasty case of larengides (sp?).  For some reason I
thought that should keep me from saying what I needed to say.  As a Texas
Region member, I would also like to thank Bud, Lynn & Marty for all of there
hard work.  That event was one of the most enjoyable that I have ever
attended.  Even though I should have been home in bed, I am glad that my
common sense seems to always plays second fiddle to my love of autox because
it was definitely an event not to miss.  I would also like to thank every
one that attended.  As mentioned prior, the competition was very serious.  I
equate the seriousness to any of the nationals that I have attended, but
that is what the National Tour is all about.  (I only wish that I had just
one more run)  But the competition is only a small part of what autox is all
about, it was great to finally meet so many of you that I know just by name,
reputation, or your frequent post to team.net.  So once again, thanks to all
that attended, it was an event to remember.

Now to the other subject in the header.  I may have been one of those that
started this discussion.  I have been autoxing starting on 6 years now.  (I
know, to most of you that is nothing). But after moving to Texas 2 years
ago, my husband, who could no longer go hunting while I go play with my
cars, decided that if he was every going to see me, he would need to start
autoxing.  So, he started where I started, in my HS Maxima.  It took us a
very short time to realize why I had retired it in the first place, so he
figured he could co-drive my RX.  The local events where ok, except for the
unusual tire wear. (we went though a lot of tires) but the bigger events
where the issue.  We both enjoyed a different setup on the car, & I being
5'4" and him being over 6' it would take every bit of 5 minutes to change
drivers, change setups, & get the engine & tires cooled off for the next
run, not even thinking about the run we just made, or the run we are about
to make.  The big events where just one stress on us & the fun was gone.
The primary solution to this was for me to run Ladies class.  I have never
run ladies class, even when I first started in autox.  I have nothing
against the ladies class, there are some very good drivers in it, but my
question was why did I have to leave the group that I had been competing
against for years just because my husband wanted to drive my car.

We found a different solution, the approach we took is not for everyone.  We
ended up with 2 very different cars.  I still have my SS RX-7 & he has a FM
F440.  The only stress we have with this setup is for trailer space.  My RX
enjoys the enclosed trailer & his 440 sits on the bed of our 3/4 ton Ford .
Luckily he enjoy the people involved enough to look for other solutions.

We joke about the SO class, & I don't know if that is the best approach.  I
know that Dan would not have wanted to run in a different class because, he
too enjoys hot competition.  The setup that we have now is the best that we
can come up with although Dan's goal is to have both cars in an enclosed
trailer ($$) with sleeping quarters($$$). (and of course, a new 1 ton truck
for him($$$$)).  I guess things could be worse, we could be fighting for
custody of the truck on weekends.  I would want to go racing & he would want
to go hunting.

I will at this point set a direction of the flames.  So what do you all
think would be the resulting vehicle if the 440 & the 3/4 ton every have off
springs.  (if you have never seen this setup, it is a sight) (BTW: the 3/4
ton is a powerstroke)

The no longer  silent,
Su Brude
Texas Region