Re: Miata Top...SECURE???

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Miata Top...SECURE???
From: Gary Spray <gspray@cjnetworks.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 18:25:55 -0500
At 12:10 AM 4/12/1999 -0400, Eric Moon wrote:
>I drove my '92 Miata in an event today where I was given grief for having
>my top down, but not secure. Secure? You mean putting a vinyl boot cover
>over a convertible top makes it secure? Since I didn't have my boot cover,
>I was instructed to run with my top up.
>Have you ever heard of this? As far as I can remember, guys run without
>their boot cover all the time. People running rollbars almost can't use the
>boot.
>Was this guy just giving me a hard time over nothing?

I think what he was worried about was the top trying to raise itself if you
hit a bump on course. I know, it seems impossible but if you've ever seen a
Miata hardtop, they have two little gizmos inside to keep the soft top
secure when the hardtop is on. I guess Mazda must think it could happen...

OBTW, I DON'T think the Miata soft top frame is strong enough to support MY
weight much less the weight of an upside down Miata.<G>

----
Gary Spray
Topeka, Kansas
Crystal White '90 A (with white Mazda alloys)
M Club #43
Miata Club Of America
Kansas Region SCCA

** WAX? I bought it to DRIVE! **