Re: [323GTX] weird misfire

To: autox :;
Subject: Re: [323GTX] weird misfire
From: CLAY MCLENDON <clay_mclendon@goodyear.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 17:01:44 -0400
I had a similar problem about a year ago.  It started with a slight boost
dependent skip on the interstate at constant boost.  Right around 7-8 psi.  As
it gradually broadened it's range, I tried everything to fix it.  First check
if it's the fuel.  I ran a tee in the fuel line and measured fuel pressure
(with a dial air gauge from the auto parts store) while running where it
skipped (gauge taped to outside of windshield).  You can also check by running
a multimeter to the O2 sensor. Hot lead to the O2, black to ground.  Then bring
the meter into the car (or tape to windshield), and run it again with it
skipping and check the voltage.  I can't recall, but I think low voltage (.3V)
is rich,  somewhere around .7V is Stoichiometric, and high (.11V) is lean.
(Someone correct me if I am wrong)  This will let you know if it is fuel or
spark.  Mine was running rich.  I replaced the entire ignition system, checked
all air inlet hoses and ended up eliminating everything but the turbo.  I had
it rebuilt and it fixed everything.  I hope this isn't your problem, but these
tests should help  you eliminate some possibilities.

kimmo.hintsala@ntc.nokia.com on 04/13/99 06:18:07 AM