Re: Neons- Quality

To: "Justin Hughes" <ka1ult@channel1.com>, "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>,
Subject: Re: Neons- Quality
From: "Steve Hoult" <stevehoult@home.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 11:29:12 -0500
>Here's how I see it...  Once manufacturers got the hang of building
>FWD cars, average people noticed how much better they are in the slimy
stuff
>and started buying them.  Average people never were experts at tail-out
>drifting through a slippery turn, and FWD reduced the possibility that this
>might happen.  Manufacturers saw that the average driver liked this, and so
>they designed cars to enhance these understeering tendancies, since average
>drivers on average roads can handle this easily

None of this has anything to do with why we are plagued with FWD cars today.
It all boils down to MONEY. It's CHEAPER to design and build a FWD car.
Because of better packaging, you can also build a lighter, more fuel
efficient car then you can with RWD and raise your CAFE (Corporate Average
Fuel Economy). If you sell bunches of econoboxes you'll raise your CAFE
which in turn lets you sell more of the very profitable RWD luxo-barges and
Pony Cars.

Steve Hoult  '89 SC   ASP 9   Flat Duck Racing
Visit the MR2 SC Registry at www.mr2sc.com