factory parts prices

To: "Neon List" <neon@iastate.edu>
Subject: factory parts prices
From: "Eric Linnhoff" <eric10mm@qni.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 09:56:31 -0500
This goes without saying, but.............

Always call around and shop for the best prices at various dealerships
for factory car parts.

I was calling around this morning for more "crash bolts" for my Neon and
got prices that ranged from $17.25 for a pair all the way up to $84.00
(!!!) for the same part # from different dealerships.  YIKES!!!

Anyway I called my favorite dealership whom I had purchased these same
parts from just a month earlier (damn crash bolts don't hold well after
being torqued down too many times, bolt stretch dontcha know) and they
quoted me a price of $24.60.

I asked if the price had gone up in the past month and he said "no,
why?"  I told him that I'd purchased these same bolts from them just a
month earlier for $17.25 and he said, "oh, I can sell them to you for
that price."  Goody for me.

So..........It obviously pays to do a little phone shopping before
driving around town.

Duh.   ;^)

BTW, anybody got any good ideas how to help keep the steering knuckle
from slipping around with the crash bolts?  Even when they're torqued to
150 ft/lbs.  Loc-Tite of some sort?

See you on course.

Eric Linnhoff in KC
#69DS    TLS #13
'98 Neon R/T
<eric10mm@qni.com>

Drive like the wind
Straining the limits of machine and man.
Laughing out loud with fear and hope
I've got a desperate plan.
"Red Barchetta" by Rush