RX-7 vs M cars, opinion

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: RX-7 vs M cars, opinion
From: Brian Priebe <priebe.4@osu.edu>
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 1999 08:47:39 -0400
I do not think either the M coupe or M roadster can hang with the Rx-7s.

John Thomas, Jean Kinser, and myself had an opportunity to drive a M
roadster.  I got to drive it twice, once on Yoks and then on G-Force
tire.  It was real hairy on the yoks and I thought the G-Forces might
help, which they did but not as much as I expected.  John Thomas spun it
hard on the G-Forces.  He was left confused at what happened.  He
described alot of what I have heard from people driving these cars.  It
was there one second and then the rear was gone.  I got it crossed up
good a couple of times.  Jean did not even really slide the car, but I
think she was puckered up from watching John and I and listening to us
discuss what we thought of the car.  I think both John and I thought the
power was great but were not to thrilled with the handling.

The rear suspension in the M cars makes the rear end twichy.  Maybe
set-up can help this, but it will not completely take it away.  At least
in an Rx-7 you know when the rear is going to step out.

--Brian Priebe