Re: Solo Vee - SEB

To: Autovee@aol.com, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Solo Vee - SEB
From: MBD96@aol.com
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 21:58:14 EST
In a message dated 3/31/1999 7:09:16 PM Central Standard Time, Autovee@aol.com
writes:

<< What we would like to propose is a change in the cylinder head
specifications.
 We request that this change be implemented by the SEB at the earliest
possible
 time.  The details and the rational for this follow.

 The heads specified by the current rules are not readily available in the
 marketplace.  They are expensive to build from stock heads, and the
 performance improvement over stock valve sizes is minimal.  The original
 choice of these heads is viewed as a serious mistake in the current rules.

 There are better heads, readily available, and these are the street
 performance heads of choice throughout the VW industry.  These heads are much
 lower in cost than the present heads specified by the rules.  >>

Regardless of whether the heads allowed by the current rules increase
performance and/or cost, or not, I don't have any heartburn about considering
a proposal for a change in cylinder heads for one reason.  At the time the
original parity committee started its review of various parity options for
FMod, F500 hadn't been approved.  I may not be remembering this correctly but
at least in the back of my mind, if not in the back of one or more other's
minds on the committee and SEB, the thought was if F500 raised the performance
bar for the class (even as it is currently restricted) then the next level of
performance heads for Solo Vees should be considered for approval.

So, the SVOA's proposal is consistent with what I remember as being a future
option discussed at the time of the original parity proposal should F500's
have more performance potential that F440.  I do not know whether the specific
heads requested in their letter to the SEB are a suitable next step, or not.
But I support the concept that the group has asked the SEB to consider and
encourage the SEB to investigate the fairness of their proposal.

Bruce Dickey