Newbie Introduction - Nathan

To: autox list <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Newbie Introduction - Nathan
From: "Ameye, Nate A." <Nate.Ameye@umb.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 11:49:39 -0600
Hello everybody,

I just thought I would take a minute and introduce myself. My name is Nathan
and I'm a computer programmer in the KC, MO area. I drove a Pontiac Fiero
('84 4cyl 5-spd)in a few autox fun runs several years ago, but haven't had a
raceable car since then. I am hoping to have some time soon to get into
autoxing, it's always looked like a ton of fun and I have always enjoyed
racing in general. Those fun runs were an absolute blast! I imagine with
some competition it gets even better.

Anyway I'm sure you've gathered by now I'm an absolute beginner, so it
probably comes as no surprise that what I am looking for is some advice. I
have a chance to buy a '92 Celica GT for a very reasonable price, in what
seems to be very good shape. It belongs to my parents and I know it's been
very well taken care of. Would this be a decent car to autox? It has the
2200cc NA engine in it, I think this car is Stock Class E. Are there any
good web sites aimed at preparing a car for Stock class Solo II racing? Any
on this car in particular?  My tentative plans are to get the car, put on
new shocks and springs (I think they've got 130k miles on originals), maybe
new struts, new tires (it needs them anyway), and high performance brake
pads. A complete engine rebuild/overhaul might also happen, but I don't know
much about prices on that yet. I would also like to put on some new wheels,
but from what I've read I believe this would boot me into the Street
Prepared Class D, is that right? I also gather that I can't put in a high
performance ignition system.  Anyway, any links or comments on this car and
it's performance or possible modifications would be very welcome.

I am also mostly used to rear wheel drive vehicles, so the Celica will be a
switch for me. Are there any good sites out there that will help me better
adjust to the cornering and launching characteristics of FWD? Will FWD be a
hindrance when I autox, compared to RWD?

I hope you don't mind me coming right out with some questions, I've read
through most of the FAQ information I can find online, as well as the
Handbook.  Thanks for your patience!

-- Nathan