Re: Chrysler warranty claim support?

Subject: Re: Chrysler warranty claim support?
From: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 23:07:12 -0500 (EST)
Howdy,

On Sat, 27 Mar 1999 PaxsACR@aol.com wrote:
> When a motormount goes bad, how do you know, what are the symptoms. I'm
> currently at 16,000 miles on my 98 ACR and yesterday developed a horrendous
> knocking noise from the engine. It happens at about 3000 RPM in any gear, at
> cruising speed on the highway I can make the knock appear or disappear with
> the throttle. Have been through 3 tanks of gas, so it's not bad gas. Anybody
> else experienced this?

Not that exactly...

I know when the front motormount is junk because there are a couple
lurches when engine torque is changed, particularly if you lift off the
gas abruptly.

Its also very easy to visually check.  The front motormount is in the
center of the car, front of the motor, on the bottom.  Poke your head down
there and look.  The three I've eaten (in 13k miles in a '98!!!) have the
bottom of the V of the mount rubber ripped/torn.  Its really easy to see
if you put a light on the right side and your head on the left.

I've also experienced clunking, but only in high cornering load
situations.  I'm not sure if that's the mount or not, but I've been kinda
assuming that it is, 'cause I can't find anything else wrong.

The mount's also super easy to change.  15mm socket, 2 nuts and two bolts.
The engine doesn't move much, so its easy to get the new mount back on as
well.

Mark
(who just today inserted wood into the ripped front motor mount for a
drivers school tomorrow 'cause I couldn't get a new mount in time).