Solo 2 Speeds & Course Designs - The End

To: "Team.Net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Solo 2 Speeds & Course Designs - The End
From: Scott & Glenda Meyers <autox@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 17:14:53 -0700
Interesting topic, and many good thoughts.

To the wag who suggested that I may fear falling out of bed, I've won two
Divisionals in D Stock in the past three years - how goes it for you?  ;-)

Let's state clearly that San Diego was never an intended target (their events
are very well organized and a pleasure to attend) - the concept of seemingly
an slow transition to faster and faster courses is my issue. Like "lifting the
bull each day until it's full grown" (yeah, I read that one), we may noteven
notice the evolution if it is slow enough.

In summary:

* Cornering at 75 mph is VERY different than cornering at 50 mph. Things go
wrong geometrically as speed increases, remember. And even cornering at 'only'
65 mph in a lowly Neon is equally different than 45 mph  :-).

* Our mission should be to create a SAFE challenge for everyone. This includes
anticipating what might go wrong. If we set up courses that knowingly exceed
actual highway speed limits, and do not require the proper safety gear, is
there any liability? Better think a little on that one before moving on.....

* 75 mph is not in and by itself unsafe. How it happens, where it happens,
course conditions and angularity are at least as important (off-camber
situations). How a series of corners are connected can add an element of
unsafe to any course.

* "Fast" is a relative term - if you are only impressed with 75+ mph then you
are in the wrong place. I submit Solo 2 is NOT that. Taking a 45 mph corner
faster than anyone else is a real thrill. Putting a series of corners together
so that your car dances 'on the edge' is a very good feeling.

As we construct courses in the future, just keep in mind that "we" - those in
charge - are ultimately responsible for what happens. In addition, the future
of our sport depends greatly on our past safety record.

Just give it some conscious thought.

Thanks,

Scott Meyers