Re: National caliber cars have A/C

To: Chris Shenefield <shenec@ohinter.net>, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: National caliber cars have A/C
From: whitney <whitneys@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 10:08:39 -0800
The typical AC system weight on a miata was around 25-35 lbs, with the
heaviest piece (compressor - only 15 lbs!) mounted very low on the block.
I kicked myself after sweaing to get all the pieces out.  Net weight
savings = 1.6%, I usually lose more time than that if I blink in the wrong
spot on the course.

On an E, H or G stock car which is even heavier (2400-2800 lbs) the
percentage weight savings shrinks even smaller.

I actually run the AC between runs so that all the cooling fans come on to
stabilize engine temps (and cool off).

Get the AC, and if you wish, disconnect it's drive belt at the events (if
possible) to reduce parasitic loss.  If you really feel like you need to,
remove the system after you get the car, then re-install before reselling
it later.

Good luck,
Stan Whitney - my views clouded by the fact of living in texas now.