Re: Neon 'launch' technique?

To: Jeff Cashmore <cashmo@execpc.com>
Subject: Re: Neon 'launch' technique?
From: Doug Kremer <kremer@writeme.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 01:00:50 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 22 Mar 1999, Jeff Cashmore wrote:

> I was playing around in a Neon this weekend and couldn't seem to get the
> launch down at the start.  It seemed to work best at 3k rpm or less with
> some pedaling to just get the front wheels to slip a little.  If I went
> to 3.5-4k I got some god-awful wheel hop.

yeah, this is pretty much my technique.. I let'er rip from about 2500 or
so ( but I'm not really looking down... )  I just kinda slip the clutch
while working toward WOT,  I have no problems getting the r1's to spin for
6 feet or so while not hopping... it just takes a good feel on the clutch.

> to share some typical Neon accel/braking g-analyst readings?  In private
> if you'd prefer.  Does anyone have any thoughts on how to improve a
> seemingly anemic motor?  This is a 98 R/T with only 9k miles, K&N
> filter, stock exhaust

well, mine really seemed to open up at about 15K, it's now at 25K and
stronger than ever.  for some high RPM fun you can pull your muffler for
that angry hornet sound and probably +5 or so Hp from 4-7K  but beware the
car will be a dog under 4K or so.

that's really all you can do and remain in DS, besides trying some trick
sparl plugs or something ( I do feel that the bosch plat +4's gave me some
torque all thru the rpm range ( butt dyno says probably 2ft-lb or so ).

--