street tires (I am SO sorry!)

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: street tires (I am SO sorry!)
From: Phil Esra <pesra@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 10:34:25 -0800 (PST)
Okay, pass that horse carcass over here. My turn. Obviously, street
tire-only rules on a national level aren't going to be popular nor
cheap. End of story. At a regional level it makes more sense. This
debate always seems to come down to the difference between thinking
nationally and thinking regionally and people not always grasping the
differences in scale and level of competitiveness between the two.
IMHO.

Having said that, I thought I'd throw in my personal street tire
experience: I'm forced to run on street tires because of the way the San
Francisco Region is handling Street Touring. I've put 17k miles on a set
of 195/55-14 SP8000s on an '86 Civic Si. Add approx 30 autox runs
(admittedly all on asphalt, sometimes w/rain) plus 20 laps at Sears
Point. At this point, I'd estimate I'll get at least another 10k out of
them before I get down to the wear bars, including another 30-40 asphalt
autox runs. Show me an R tire that can do that, especially for $70 in a
14" size. I know that the scales tip the other way as the wheel size
gets larger. I know all the pros and cons of street and R tires. I just
wanted to share my experience. Thanks for listening.

Phil Esra
86 Civic Si ST
72 240z EM
Do You Yahoo!?