Schroth Rallye-3 harnessbelt installation?

To: mr2-interest@mr2.com, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Schroth Rallye-3 harnessbelt installation?
From: bluemr2@juno.com
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 17:30:22 -0500
        I've been using my Schroth harnessbelt for auto-x for awhile using the
little bolt behind the seat (as pretty much every auto-xer with an MR2
does).  The question is:  What can I do to make the installation
acceptable for street use.  I don't plan on using it on the daily drive
to work, but would like to use it on Road Rallys.  Spending 8 hours
bouncing around inside a Mitsu Eclipse yesterday made me decide that I'd
better try to make the Schroth acceptable for that type of use before the
MR2 sees it's first rally! (In a couple weeks).
        Here's my thoughts so far--
        1) How reinforced is the area behind the seat?
        2) I would need to use the bigger bolt that comes with the harness belt,
but how best to attach the belt to the bolt.  (due to the short distance
behind the seat).  I've seen some tail straps resewn short enough to fit,
then bigger bolt would work fine, but I don't know about the safety of a
resewn tail strap.  I just left the strap off and bolted throught the
square hole on the harness itself for auto-x use.  The bigger bolt *may*
fit the square hole, but would the fact of the hole being square instead
of round be a problem in a crash (overstress the bolt in one place?)???

        Any ideas?

Brian
'91 MR2 4em
BlueMR2@juno.com