Looking for used tires

To: Smokerbros@aol.com, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Looking for used tires
From: bluemr2@juno.com
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 17:30:12 -0500
>Also, does this car have a knock sensor?  If so, it's possible that it
is
>detecting enough detonation at this rpm to dial back the timing
significantly.

        Nope, no knock sensor on the pre'93s.  I had the same thing happen, I
just keep getting MASSIVE carbon build up.  It starts the cycle running
well, starts getting harder and harder to start and loses top end.
Eventually, it will stop idling properly.  THEN, it won't start for a
couple days.  Will start then, blows black smoke all over the place
(while making a clattering noise).  Runs fine (for about 3-4 months),
then starts going downhill again.  The cycle repeats about twice a
year.... :-(  Beginning of cycle, I can run 87 octane, by the end, I'm
running 94 octane plus a couple bottles of octane boost to keep the
pinging at an acceptable level.
        BTW, I don't know what the "S" is for (5S-FE), but the "F" is for "fuel
efficient" (i.e. no power) and the "E" I think is for electronic
ignition?

Brian
'91 MR2 4em (5S-FE)
http://www3.sscorp.com/~briank