Tire recommendations

To: "'autox@autox.team.net'" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tire recommendations
From: John Steczkowski <stecz@Crossroads.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 07:18:37 -0600
I need to replace the street tires on my '88 Porsche 924S. It comes standard
with 195/65/15s on 15x6s.

It currently has Dunlop D60 A2s (205/60/15). I want to replace them with a
more sporting tires that I can use for occasional autocrosses (street tire
class) and driver's ed events. I think I'm going to replace the tires with
205/55/15s (about 5% smaller than the stock size). The choices are:
BFG Comp TA ZRs, wear rating of 220 (I've always been partial to BFG)
Dunlop SP Sport 9000, wear rating of 280 (seems to compromise for wet
traction)
Yoko AVS intermediates, wear rating of 160 (these seem like a good
compromise)
Yoko A022A, low, but not sure of the wear rating (OE for NSX, I've heard
people gripe that these wear out quickly, sounds like what I want, if they
give good grip) :-)
Bridgestone Potenza RE-71, wear rating of 140 (seems like a good choice, but
an old design?)
Yoko A008RS (apparently you can still get these in 205/60/15, not the size
I'm looking for, but may be the way to go, although I couldn't run them in
the street tire class)

I don't really care about wet traction, snow traction or mud traction, just
dry traction.

Any opinions?

John S.