Y2K Preview (slightly long)

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Y2K Preview (slightly long)
From: John Lieberman <johnlee@softdisk.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 1999 20:27:04 -0800
Hey, Gang!

I just returned from the VIP/Media preview party for the "Ark-La-Tex
(Arkansas-Louisiana-Texas) Auto & Truck Show."  This is an annual
event put on by the Shreveport-Bossier New Car Dealers Association and
brings together all of the latest models as well as some manufacturer
prototypes.  But, unlike lots of other auto shows, there are no ropes
or barriers.  You can sit in any car/truck/van/SUV that you want to,
pop the hood, crawl underneath it, whatever pops your cork.  About 150
vehicles on display in the Shreveport Expo Hall through the weekend.

At any rate, I got a pretty good look at the Y2K Neon and Mustang.
(Hang on, Miniacs, I'll get to you in a minute!)  Both have taller and
wider rear ends than their predecessors.  They kind of remind me of
the shape of the C5 Corvette.  The new Mustang has really clean sides
and massive tail lights (still have the three vertical pieces!) while
the Neon has a whole new headlight treatment and (I think) a really
neat looking rear.  (No snide comments, please!  I can look at really
neat looking rears all day but THIS time I was looking at the
cars...when I wasn't looking at the women who were ALSO looking at the
cars!!!)

I understand, from talking with the dealers, that the 2000 Neon also
has some structural enhancements that should make it handle even
better than its predecessors.

Now, here's where the Mini content comes into play.  We've talked
before about the BMW-designed 1.8-liter engine that's supposed to be
shared by the Y2K Neon and the Y2K Mini.  I met and talked at length
with a guy whose father is working on that motor for
Diamler/Chrysler.  He told me that it will only be available,
initially, in export model Neons.  All US Neons will still come with
the 2-liter engine that they have now.  But, he's also going to get me
all the specs he can on the new motor and, as soon as I get them from
him, I'll forward them to the Mini-list. Depending on how that motor
performs overseas it may or may not find its way back to the US for
use in the Neon here.  Whatever happens, though, it WILL be in the Y2K
Mini when it finally makes its way back to our shores here in North
America.

I wish I could give you more specifics on the performance aspects of
the Y2K Mustang and Neon, but the people who were there tonight were
the big-wigs from the dealerships.  They were there to schmooze the
VIPs who were invited to the preview party...not to talk specifics
about the cars.  I got what I could from them.  When I have more, I'll
let you know.

John (Old Fartz & TLS #37) Lieberman
1965 Austin Mini (SCCA D-Prepared autocross car)
Shreveport, Louisiana (USA)

(note - dual sig for both lists)