Meridian Tour

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Meridian Tour
From: Jonathan Dove <JDOVE@gsvms2.cc.gasou.edu>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 11:48:24 -0500
Some brief comments on the Meridian Tour event:

Wow!!!!!  What a blast!

Registration and welcome was at the Peavey Electronics hanger.  Great place
to meet and look at some of the street rods on display.  Got a close up view
of the company jet!

>From the driver's meeting: 247 entries from 22 states.  Second largest
tour event ever.

The course was long and fast  Smooth asphalt.  Only problems was the start
and finish because of the older asphalt.  The street sweeper got plenty of
seat time on course.  I believe the fastest were the BMods in the mid 40s.
I was able to get under 60 seconds both days but was able to get 3rd gear.
In fact on Sunday's course I was able to do 3rd from sweeper to sweeper!
Watching (and hearing) the DS Neons bounce of the rev limiters in the
first group on fastest parts showed there was more speed.  Plus we had
brand new cones.

The weather on Saturday was poor from the on and off light rain.  No delays
but it made it hard for some to get traction.  I did see the ASP RX-7 spin
on it's first run on the first straight and almost take out the runway light.
I was on station 1 when that happen.  I also saw a number of spins at the
far end.  Good thing the rain let out over night.  It made for Sunday's
weather much better.  Blue skies and mild temperatures.  But very windy.
We had a number of cars spin towards our worker station and we lost some
cone audit sheets to the wind when we had to bail.

Thanks goes to the Mississippi Region and the sponsors who pulled off a
great event.  The only problem was the dinner at the train station.  It was
too small to hold the large number of attendees.

I have to get back to sleep... I mean work.  I only got three hours of sleep
before going to work.  I got caught up in the accident on I-20 outside of
Atlanta extending my drive to 9 1/2 hours.

Jonathan
jdove@gsvms2.cc.gasou.edu