Re: Which Talon for GS?

To: "Brian Goodwin" <briang@adnc.com>
Subject: Re: Which Talon for GS?
From: "Fedja Jeleskovic" <Fedja_Jeleskovic@pictel.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 20:23:38 -0500

Hi Brian,

I believe this is easy to answer. If you want to autoX that car than 95+
cars are your best bet. Power steering on pre-95 cars is pretty bad and it
is very difficult to drive those cars at the high RPMs. Power steering is
related to RPMs and above 3k you almost have no support. Only if you are
extremely smooth you might get away with it. But occasional surges are
something to expect. Suspension is also much better for 95+ cars. Double
wishbone versa struts at he front will win in my book.

>From 95+ cars they are all very similar. Very early 95 cars have vented
rear rotors and they are larger for about an inch than other 95+ cars. Cam
positioning sensor is moved from the left side (as it was on pre-95 cars)
to the right side for 95 and 96 cars. They moved it back in 97. 97+ cars
have no EEPROM so in order to modify those things you will need doughtier
cars installed. 97+ cars also have 17" rims for AWD cars. Everything else
is very much the same.

Also pre-95 cars are somewhat lighter due to stronger body and door support
beams. On the top of everything else 95+ cars look much better than older
ones.

To get much more information about DSM cars, check http://www.dsm.org.

Good luck and welcome to the club!

Fedja
95 AWD
#34 ESP

"Brian Goodwin" <briang@adnc.com> on 02/25/99 06:47:06 PM

Please respond to "Brian Goodwin" <briang@adnc.com>

To:   "autocross list" <autox@autox.team.net>
cc:    (bcc: Fedja Jeleskovic/PicTel)
Subject:  Which Talon for GS?

Hi Everyone,

Love my CSP Miata but I also need something that can hold a bit more stuff
and am considering having a used Talon join the Miata in the garage.  Also
thinking that the Talon could do dual duty as a GS car.  Wondering whether
the first generation or second is considered better for autocross duty and
if there is some consensus on which year is best?  Thanks,

Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing Supply
http://www.good-win-racing.com