re:Neon head gaskets

To: autox <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: re:Neon head gaskets
From: Tom Rockwell <rockwell@pa.msu.edu>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 20:28:50 -0500
Lots of neons are having this problem.  Both the SOHC and DOHC engines
are susceptible.  A new gasket design is now used in production and for
repairs; the new design is supposed to be a lot better and have a normal
life.  I think the new gasket design was used starting in late '97 or
early '98?

My Nov. '96 build ACR just had the repair done, the car has 19k miles.

Most of the really early failures are on the back passenger side of the
engine and are mild oil leaks.  Some older cars have had failures that
resulted in coolant leaks.

Chrysler has covered the cost of repairs for some cars out of warranty.
There is a 1-800 number for customer service.  If you call them and
explain the situation there is a good chance they would cover it.

Tom Rockwell