Re: INTENT of the rules (was SP changes in fast track)

To: "TEAM.NET" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: INTENT of the rules (was SP changes in fast track)
From: Michael Piera <Tesec@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 10:17:22 -0500
Jay Mitchell <jemitchell@compuserve.com> wrote, in his caring, sensitive
manner,

> WRONG!
> Even SEB members will tell you they have no idea of the original
> intent of many of the rules. The only POSSIBLE interpretation has to be
> that the rules mean what they say, LITERALLY. You are in no position
> whatever to claim to know what "99.9%" of the SCCA may or may not
> believe.

Here is some background information in the intent of many rules.
I have a copy of the 1967 and 1973 GCRs (SCCA road racing rules)
which I obtained to prepare my car for vintage racing. Back then SCCA
production class race cars were much closer to stock but with
allowed modifications (engine and suspension mostly).

There are many currect rules which were basically lifted from these
ancient rulebooks, here are some from 1967, pre-SOLO-II (I think) :

"Integra type R rule " :
1.1b. Production Category automobiles ... series produced... normal
road touring equipment... at least 500 within a 12 month period.
(They changed the quantity but wording is quite similar).

"B.F.Joe rule" :
1.2A.2  ... all accessories, gauges, and indicators ... improving
the comfort and convenience of the driver ... no influence whatever
on the mechanical (not DRIVER, hi Mark S.!) performance and do not
materially reduce the weight...

1.2.B.3 make and type of shock absorbers.. but not their numbers ... or
points of attachment

1.2C.1 Make of spark plugs and ignition coil...

1.2.C.6 The use of alternate engine and drivetrain components
which are normally expendable and considered replacement parts
such as seals, bearings... provided they are the same type
and dimensions.

Also notice the 1973 classes were pretty close to recent solo-II stock :