which tire?

To: "autox.team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: which tire?
From: svoracer@home.com
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 14:37:24 -0600
I am a new subscriber (3 weeks) to this mailing list, and with autocross
season starting here in Tennessee next month I come forth to ask ya'll
for your opinion.....

I autocross a 1984 SVO Mustang, 2.3 ltr turbo, with minor performance
mods to increase horsepower (est. 250 hp), instead, I choose to improve
handeling. My theory; Why make the car faster if you can't transfer that
power to the ground. I have installed most all the typical aftermarket
suspension pieces such as poly bushings, constant rate performance
springs, all braces, trak kit w/ pan hard bar.

The car handles great but up this point I have only ran Z-rated street
tires, therefore, every event I seem to be 2-3 seconds slower than the
other ESP cars. IT'S TIME TO STEP UP.

The tire of choice here in the Tennessee region for the last couple
years have been the BFG R1's (now disc.) and the Hoosier's, I know there
are other makes (Kuhmo, Yoko, etc.), so I am asking you more experienced
racers for your input....

Competition tires...what are the do's & don'ts, in's & out's, good & bad
of the available tire options??????????

Thank ya'll

Gary Alsobrooks