Re: Honda Part (Distrubitor)

To: "Meyer, Brian J" <Brian.Meyer@Wichita.BOEING.com>
Subject: Re: Honda Part (Distrubitor)
From: "William D. Fugate" <deloss@imap2.asu.edu>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 14:10:53 -0800
Not sure why you need a new distributor, but this may help you out.  The
distributor on my girlfriend's '93 Civic started making a bloodcurdling scream
that can only come from metal to metal contact.  After I made the same calls
to Honda/Pep Boys/Autozone etc. I decided to see if I could fix the thing
myself.  In our case, the culprit was the top bearing (a roller bearing, there
is a plain bearing on the bottom/drive end).  Of course it was a non-standard
size but after some detective work, I found a place (US Bearings and Drives
((602) 269-2331) here in Phoenix) that carried it.  Turns out that Honda
changed the bearing from a standard Nachi brand bearing just enough so the
average joe couldn't rebuild the thing himself.  Unfortunately (for Honda),
the Nachi started making the bearings available on the market.  The part is
Nachi PN: 6001/012-2NSL.  It's expensive for a bearing, about 20 bucks.
With a two jaw puller, a little patience, a few drops of Locktite for screw
retention and, in our case, a little Locktite bearing retainer because the
bearing had spun in its aluminum housing, the distributor has been working as
new for the last 6 months.

Hope this will help someone out there,

Bill Fugate