Clutch slipping

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Clutch slipping
From: SSUCSY@aol.com
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 21:58:44 EST
The clutch on my 1991 MR2 Turbo seems to slip when I launch the car.  I can
usually get the rear tires to spin a little on my first launch of an event,
but after that, the heat seems to cause just enough slippage to prevent a good
start with enough power to spin the tires.  Don't get me wrong- I know
excessive wheel spin is counterproductive.  But having the clutch slip cannot
be good.  Any ideas on what could be the cause?  The mechanic I described the
problem to suggested that the pressure plate springs are probably getting
weak, so when the clutch disk heats up after the first start, there is
insufficient spring pressure to prevent slipping.  The pressure plate is
106,000 miles old, and the clutch disk is about 45,000 miles old.

Steve Sucsy
1991 MR2 Turbo